Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Rachel Donelson Robards Jackson: What I Know Going In

I'm bending the rules a bit with this one. Pretty much the only thing I know about Rachel Jackson is that she died not long before Andrew Jackson was sworn in as President, so, technically, she was never a First Lady. That combined with the fact that a true biography of Rachel Jackson does not seem to exist (the only other book I could find is a short chapter book for children) means that I should probably read a biography of Andrew Jackson for this portion of the blog. Instead, I've chosen to read the story of Rachel and Andrew's relationship in Patricia Brady's A Being So Gentle: The Frontier Love Story of Rachel and Andrew Jackson.  
 
image from amazon.com

While not a true biography of either person, I figure it will give me insight into both as well as the history surrounding them and their lives. Plus, the description of the book mentions an "adulterous beginning and tragic end," so it sure sounds like a good story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment